The Programme Doctoral Degree in Mathematical Methods and Numerical Simulation in Engineering and Applied Sciences Is an official university degree, taught jointly by the three Galician universities, which forms researchers in the field of mathematical modelling and numerical resolution of problems that arise in different industrial and business areas. In addition to the participating doctors from the three universities, it has the collaboration through an agreement of 27 companies and technological centers, which propose research topics of great relevance and topicality.
Why study the degree
At present, with the rapid evolution of engineering and applied sciences, it is evident the need to train specialists at the doctoral level in the modelling and numerical simulation of processes that come from the industrial or business scope, so that Impel from the university the transfer of knowledge and the incorporation of doctors to the R & D & I departments. These doctors will have training in mathematical modelling and simulation aimed at optimizing processes, reducing costs, improving product quality, designing technologies, increasing safety, reducing environmental pollution, valuing products, investments and financial risks, etc.
Lines of investigation
These are the lines of research of this doctoral program:
- Mathematical Analysis and Numerical Resolution of Equations in Partial Derivatives (EDP) and Ordinary Differential Equations (EDO)
- Modeling, analysis and numerical simulation of problems in applied sciences and engineering
- Modeling, analysis and numerical simulation of industrial and business problems
Specific Training Complements
In case the doctor does not have the complete previous training required in the program, his / her admission to the program may be conditioned to the surpassing of specific training complements, which may be subjects or modules of master and degree. The complements assigned to the same doctorate may not exceed 15 ECTS credits and may be made prior or simultaneous to the tuition in academic tuition in the program.
In case of simultaneous realization the students will have to register for these complements at the moment of formalizing the tuition of academic tutelage in the program, which must be surpassed in the maximum term of three consecutive quarters. Failure to do so will result in student disqualification from the program.
Formative Activities of the Programme
- Advanced Subjects of Applied Mathematics: the student is expected to know relevant lines of research in the international arena in Applied Mathematics. These are dynamic and optional courses that vary each year. In general, it is recommended to do the first year.
- Matters of the Master of Industrial Mathematics or equivalent: The CAPD or the director of the thesis can recommend the follow-up of subjects that the student has not attended because they are suitable for the completion of the thesis. These subjects will be included in the Student Research Plan. They are optional and recommended for the first year.
- Courses external to the Programme and recognized by the CAPD: they will be publicized among the students, detailing their planning and the criteria for monitoring and recognition by the CAPD. They are optional.
- Research stays: The mobility will be supervised by the director or tutor of the thesis, defining the objectives of the stay. In addition to the training aspect, the thesis will be promoted with International Mention. They are optional. The minimum recommended duration will be 1 week and the maximum of 2 years, provided funding is available.
Professional and academic outputs
In addition to the professional exits related to the incorporation of teaching and research teams from Spanish and foreign universities, the development of the doctoral thesis in problems of great relevance and relevance in different industrial and business sectors enables the possibility of joining R & D + i of companies and technology centers. This last aspect is backed by the good number of doctors trained in the program who have joined companies, technology centers and research, as well as universities.
Entry profile without training complements: In general, the studies that allow access without training complements will be the interuniversity master of Mathematical Engineering, taught by the three Galician universities, and the Master of Industrial Mathematics that has replaced it, taught by The Galician universities along with Carlos III and the Polytechnic of Madrid.
There are also no further training requirements for students with DEA within the former Galician Interuniversity PhD Programme "Mathematical Methods and Numerical Simulation in Engineering and Applied Sciences" Other profiles: In the case of other access profiles the CAPD will evaluate each case individually .
It will be considered the possibility of requiring complements of training of subjects of the Master of Industrial Mathematics up to a maximum of 15 ECTS. In the case of other profiles that have not completed a master's degree, an equivalence of training will be necessary in research credits not inferior to those of the master that gives direct access, that is to say, 60 ECTS. Students with foreign qualifications without homologation must also adapt to the conditions established by the universities.
About the School
The University of A Coruña is a public institution whose primary objective is the generation, management and dissemination of culture and scientific, technological and professional knowledge through t ... Read More