The Programme PhD in Research in Information Technology Is an official university degree that deals with advanced training in research techniques in the field of information technologies. It has the collaboration of the Supercomputing Center of Galicia (CESGA) and of Coremain SLU Its objective is to provide training that allows the student a clear understanding of a field, such as information technology, which is very complex and dynamic, and To enable him to carry out an investigative activity in the domain of his competence.
Why study the degree
Information technologies are a basic tool to generate wealth and better living conditions, constituting one of the fundamental progress fronts of our society. These technologies are constantly evolving, so research and innovation in them are fundamental to maintaining competitiveness, and the graduates of this program are particularly well suited to carry out these tasks.
What is learned
This PhD program includes the Computer Architecture Group of the UDC and the Intelligent Systems, Artificial Vision, Computer Architecture, Knowledge Engineering, as well as the Systems and Digital Imaging Laboratories of the USC.
Lines of investigation
These are the lines of research of this doctoral program:
- Processor Architecture
- Flexible computing
- Computer graphics
- Parallel and distributed computing
- Ubiquitous Computing
- Electronic design
- Electronics devices
- Image and video processing
- Information systems
- Intelligent Systems
Specific Training Complements
In case the doctor does not have the complete previous training required in the program, his / her admission to the program may be conditioned to the surpassing of specific training complements, which may be subjects or modules of master and degree. The complements assigned to the same doctorate may not exceed 15 ECTS credits and may be made prior or simultaneous to the tuition in academic tuition in the program.
In case of simultaneous realization the students will have to register for these complements at the moment of formalizing the tuition of academic tutelage in the program, which must be surpassed in the maximum term of three consecutive quarters. Failure to do so will result in student disqualification from the program.
Formative Activities of the Programme
- Send article to a magazine (450 hours). Required. At least the publication in an international journal will be planned, preferably, at least in the third year as the first author and main contributor of the work. In the case of part-time students, it is possible to plan during the fourth year.
- Visit to companies and / or technology centers (20 hours). Required. One or two visits to companies and / or technological centers during the PhD stage will be planned. In the case of part-time students, it will be sufficient for them to attend a visit.
- Cycles of conferences of experts of recognized prestige (15 hours). Required. Several conferences will be planned by experts in the field throughout the year, to which the student must attend at least one per year. The tutor of the thesis will select at least 6 to which the doctor must attend during the time of completion of the thesis. In the case of part-time students, a minimum of 3 lectures may be attended.
- Presentation of a report / poster in national or international congress, or in other centers or universities. (50 hours). Required. It will be planned at least the presentation at a conference, or other research centers or universities with which the doctor is collaborating, as the first author and main contributor of the work, if possible during the first half of the doctorate.
Professional and academic outputs
The information technology sector in which this degree is framed is one of the most emerging at the present time, and it is going through a moment of great advances, which favors the labour insertion of the graduates of this program. These professionals have a place in R + D + I activities in private companies, as well as in higher education and public research institutes. On the other hand, the high number of lines of research of the program facilitates the specialization in diverse profiles within the scope of the TIC, favoring the employability of the graduates.
In general, the master's studies that will allow entry into this doctoral program without training complements will be
Participating University 1: Santiago de Compostela
- Master of Information Technology
- Master of Computing of High Performance
- Master of Mathematical Engineering
- Master of Mathematics
- Master of Statistics Techniques
- Master's Degree in Renewable Energy and Energy Sustainability
Participating University 2: La Coruña
- Master of Computing of High Performance
- Master in Computer Engineering
- Master in Mathematical Engineering
- Master in Statistics Techniques
- Master in Technologies of Information and Communication in Mobile Networks
- Master in Computing
- Master in Computer Systems Engineering
Note that the most suitable income profile for most of the research lines of the program corresponds to the Master of Information Technologies of USC, the master's degree in Computer Engineering of the UDC, and the master's degree in Computing of High Performance, Although due to the particularities of each line the other masters could be adjusted properly. Students with a DEA degree obtained through the Interuniversity PhD program in Information Technology at USC or at UDC will also have access without complements.
About the School
The University of A Coruña is a public institution whose primary objective is the generation, management and dissemination of culture and scientific, technological and professional knowledge through t ... Read More