The Department of Banking and Finance was established in the 1999/2000 academic session along with the other two departments in the Sanusi Lamido Sanusi College of Business and Management Studies. However, the Department was initially warehoused by the Department of Accounting.
Professor E.O. Izedonmi, the then Dean of the College, had the responsibility of overseeing the affairs of the Department and nurturing it until it came on its own in the 2002/2003 academic session, with Mr. Benson A. Akintola as the pioneer Lecturer-in-charge of the Department.
Igbinedion University Okada was the first private university in Nigeria with registration certificate No. 001 presented to the founder/proprietor and the honorable chancellor, Sir (Dr) Chief Gabriel 0. Igbinedion, the Esama of Benin kingdom, by the Federal Government of Nigeria on 10th of May 1999.
The University, however, began its academic operations on 5111 October 1999 with 112 students.
Within the span of thirteen academic sessions from 1999/2000 to 2012/2013 the University has attracted students not only in Nigeria but also from other countries. In particular, the University has attracted students from all 36 states of the federation and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Abuja as well as from foreign countries. The staff mix of the university also reflects this national spread or federal character and, right from its inception to-date, the University always has a good number of foreign nationals among its teaching and non-teaching staff thus, Igbinedion University Okada can be rightly described as one having a strong federal character, one with strong attraction for students within and outside Nigeria, a university of choice with a difference, and a private university with a clear vision, strong sense of mission and objectives poised to take its place gradually in the comity of similar Ivy Leaque Universities in the UK and the USA.
Mission Of The University
- To pursue excellence in teaching, research, and scholarship through the provision of an unequaled range of facilities and opportunities for education, training, and employment for all those able to benefit without any kind of discrimination.
- To advance human advancement, prosperity, and public welfare through teaching and research that encourage the application of knowledge, promote discipline, emphasize self-employment, and to acquire and manage resources effectively to achieve these aims.
THE DEPARTMENT INTENDS TO ACHIEVE THIS MISSION THROUGH
- Offering state-of-the-art training that prepares its graduates for responsibilities of the world of work and will produce graduate that is the most sought-after by all employers of labour as well as postgraduate schools and research institutes;
- Establishing institutional linkages for mutually beneficial relationships; and
- Striving to become a centre of excellence where expertise and facilities to accelerate the pace of the nation’s development can be provided.
In this way, the department will contribute to the realization of Igbinedion University’s mission of “advancing human development... through teaching and research that encourage the acquisition and application of knowledge”