PhD in Computer Science
University of Milano - Bicocca
24 Jul 2023
Earliest start date
01 Nov 2023
The Department of Informatics, Systems and Communication (DISCo) of the University of Milano – Bicocca has opened 17 PhD positions (https://en.unimib.it/education/doctoral-research-phd-programmes/how-apply-phd-programme) covering the following areas:
- Foundations of Computer Science, Computational Life Sciences and Bioinformatics, including security, formal methods, computational modelling, theory, simulation;
- Software Engineering and Architecture, including software testing and analysis, software evolution, reverse engineering, multimodal architectures, cloud and mobile computing;
- Web and Information Systems, including big data and data science, information retrieval, human-computer interaction, distributed information systems, and semantic information systems;
- Intelligent Sensing, including robotics, internet of things, autonomous driving, real-time systems, computer vision, and signal processing;
- Artificial Intelligence and Decision Systems, including machine learning, data analytics, optimization techniques, complex systems, and Bayesian methods.
Applications must be submitted by July 24th, 2023.
The program grants a PhD degree in Computer Science and lasts three years. The official language of the PhD program is English. Fellowships are increased by 50% for periods of research visits abroad. Extra funding is available to PhD students for their participation in conferences, schools, workshops, and short research visits.
The department includes more than 50 faculty members and almost the same number of post-docs and PhD students. The department is very active in both basic and applied research, this is why several of the PhD positions are available in the context of European and national projects, as well as in the context of industrial projects. The University of Milano - Bicocca offers to its PhD students affordable and close to campus accommodation.
The selected students will work in an exciting international environment and will have the opportunity to participate in the development of a dynamic and growing department. The learning path offered to students includes both a series of specialized courses that deal with advanced topics in the different fields of Computer Science and a series of interdisciplinary courses that deal with language and communication skills, research management, funding systems, intellectual property and related topics.
Milano is a wonderful and lively city, able to combine the traditional Italian lifestyle with a superb economical environment, and with the dynamism of modern European cities. Indeed, it is an ideal place for young students interested in creating their careers in academia or industry.
For more information about the program or the positions, please contact the director of the PhD program prof. Leonardo Mariani or the deputy director prof. Gianluca Della Vedova.
The main objective of the PhD program is to prepare highly-qualified researchers to conduct research, work and teach in fundamental and applied topics of the discipline, to design and develop complex IT systems, innovative applications with information and communication technology in different application domains.